Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Ol' Ballcoach

Does anyone like Steve Spurrier, or Steve Superior as he is known throughout SEC country? Spurrier is without question an excellent college football coach, but would you want him to coach your team if the opportunity arose?

On one hand, his resume includes a National Championship season in 1996, NFL coaching experience (albeit brief, but still experience nonetheless) and turning South Carolina into more than just an afterthought in the SEC East race. On the other hand does that override the fact he historically has a merry-go-round approach with his quarterbacks and, more importantly, the simple fact he's just so easy to root against? I'd want him to coach my favorite team, in fact I was excited when there were rumors he was a candidate to fill the job before the current coach was hired. Make no mistake, this would not have made me like him. I like to root for winners, and I believe he would turn the team around, but he would have still been Steve Superior.

This article about Coach Spurrier and the Miami Hurricanes by David Malinsky got me thinking.

No comments: